Camp Gordon Johnston’s museum role is to preserve the
heritage of the men who trained at the camp during WW II. Carrabelle was the
focal point of social life around the camp when it was open during WW II, and
today continues its role as the preserver of the amphibious soldier's heritage.
Camp Gordon Johnston opened in 1942 for the sole purpose of
training amphibious soldiers and their support groups, this camp trained a
quarter of a million men, closing in June of 1946.
The sacrifices and achievements of our WW II era citizens
have led historians to label these individuals as the best generation America
has yet produced. We feel it would be a tragedy not to display their
accomplishments as a worthy lesson for today's citizens. To this extent the
museum promotes not only the history of WW II, but also portrays the gigantic
effort that our nation poured into this conflict. The CGJ Museum has compiled
an extensive history of the various units that trained here, as well as a
photographic display of the area and life as it existed at the camp.
Furthermore, the CGJ veterans have contributed the artifacts brought back from
battles overseas, along with uniforms, mess kits, and all sorts of souvenirs,
too numerous to name.
Indirect Public Support HelpIndirect public support represents revenue received through solicitation campaigns. This includes funding United Way and other federated fundraising organizations, but does not include donor designated contributions.
Earned Revenue HelpEarned revenue represents income generated in direct exchange for a product or service.Earned income includes income from government contracts.
Copyright © 2014 Community Foundation of North Florida
1435 Piedmont Drive East, Suite 101, Tallahassee, FL 32308
(850) 222.2899| www.cfnf.org